Nomination Deadline: October 1st
To recognize contributions to the advancement of irrigation and drainage engineering, Royce J. Tipton, F.ASCE and past Vice President, contributed funds for the establishment of an award in this field of endeavor. It was officially instituted by action of the Board of Direction on October 19-20, 1964.
- 2022: Christopher Michael Usher Neale, Ph.D., M.ASCE
- The award is known as the Royce J. Tipton Award.
- The award is made to a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers or member of the Environmental & Water Resources Institute who has made a definitive contribution to the advancement of irrigation and drainage engineering management, these contributions being made either in the form of papers or other written presentations, or through notable performance, long years of service, or specific actions which have served to advance the science of irrigation and drainage engineering. Only candidates in good standing at the time of nomination are eligible for the award. Publications written by the nominee may be considered as part of the selection process.
- Not more than 1 award of the prize is made each year unless the achievement upon which the award is based is considered to be the contribution of more than one person. The recipient may be invited to present a lecture at an appropriate meeting of the Society. The lecture will be published in the Society's Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering.
- Nominations for the award will be evaluated by the Irrigation and Drainage Council Awards Committee. The Awards Committee is composed of the following voting members of the Irrigation and Drainage Council: chair, vice-chair, past-chair, chairs of standing committees, news correspondent, and editor of the Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering. The Committee shall recommend a recipient to the Governing Board of the Environmental & Water Resources Institute. The Governing Board of the Environmental & Water Resources Institute shall submit their recommendation to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction of the Society for approval.
- Nominees not selected in the initial year will be held over for consideration through the next two selection cycles. At the end of the third cycle, nominees not chosen will be removed from consideration, but will remain eligible for re-nomination by submission of a new nomination package.
- The award consists of a plaque and cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment. If the award is made for a joint effort, the lead recipient shall receive the plaque and cash prize. All other recipients shall receive only a certificate.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191