Nomination Deadline: October 1st
The Arid Land Hydraulic Engineering Award recognizes original contributions in hydraulics, hydrology including climatology, planning, irrigation and drainage, hydroelectric power development, navigation specially applicable to arid or semi-arid climates or contributions to the understanding and development of new technology in river basins.
- 2022: Albert Clemmens, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, M.ASCE
- The award is given without regard to Society membership.
- The award is given on the basis of noteworthy original contribution in hydraulics, hydrology (including climatology), planning, irrigation and drainage, hydroelectric power development, or navigation especially applicable to arid or semi-arid climates. The nominee's publications may be considered in the selection process.
- The award is made annually except that no award is made in a year in which there are no qualified candidates.
- The Subcommittee on Arid Lands shall recommend a winner to the EWRI Awards Committee, which shall seek approval from the Governing Board of the Environmental & Water Resources Institute. The Subcommittee on Arid Lands is composed of the 3 past Arid Lands Award recipients; Chair-Elect of the EWRI Awards Committee, who shall serve as the chair; and one representative from the Watershed Council; one representative from the Hydraulics and Waterways Council; and one representative from the Irrigation and Drainage Council. The Governing Board of the Environmental and Water Resources Institute shall submit their nominations to the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction for approval.
- Nominees not selected in a given year will be held over for consideration through the next selection cycle. At the end of the second cycle, nominees not chosen will no longer be eligible for consideration, except that nominators who wish for their candidate to be considered for another 2 cycle period must produce a new nomination package.
- The award consists of a plaque suitably inscribed and a cash prize determined annually by and subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the ASCE Board of Direction based on the income from the award endowment.
To nominate, submit the following:
- A cover letter, signed by the nominator
- An Official Award Nomination form (PDF)
- The nominee's CV or biographical information
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (max)
You can submit your nomination electronically to [email protected], or by mail to:
ASCE Honors and Awards
1801 Alexander Bell Drive
Reston, VA 20191