Granular Materials Technical Committee: Student Video Competition 2023
Submissions due by March 3
The Granular Materials Technical Committee (GMTC) is hosting its second annual video competition for graduate students to present their research findings (experimental, computational, and theoretical studies) within the broad field of granular materials. As nearly every product, commodity, or infrastructure is constituted from, derived from, or supported by particulate materials through mining, agriculture, and/or chemical processing, the competition spans the engineering disciplines, applied mathematics, materials science and physics.
The GMTC welcomes all graduate students in these fields to submit 10-minute videos within the period from October 10, 2022 to March 3, 2023 (1:00 PM Eastern time, US). All entries will be judged based on technical content, clarity of the presentation and quality of the slides. Three cash prizes will be awarded for the best experimental, computational and theoretical entry. Winners will also be given a free banquet ticket at the EMI 2023 Conference, if they present their work at the GMTC Symposium.
Rules and Guidelines
- All entries must be a digital video.
- Each entry must focus on the student’s original MS or PhD thesis work.
- The length of the video should not exceed 10 minutes, not including the 5 second title screen.
- All entries should begin with a 5 second full-screen “title screen” that includes the following information:
- Student’s name
- Thesis supervisor’s name
- Institution name
- Institution city, state, country
- Presentation title
- Category of the presentation (i.e., experimental, computational, or theoretical
- All information presented in the video must be the student’s original work and it must be properly cited. Plagiarism of any kind will result in disqualification.
- There is an entry fee of US$ 30.
- The deadline for submissions is 1:00 pm (Eastern time, US) on Friday, March 3, 2023. Winners will be announced no later than Friday, March 24, 2023. After registering, you will receive an email with payment and submission information.
- All entries must be submitted in digital format.
- All entries must be submitted in English.
- No copyrighted materials (music, images, etc.) may be used for this contest unless you own the copyright or have a license to use the material for this contest. Written permission must be obtained and provided upon request for all copyrighted materials.
- No professional assistance is allowed.
- Content must comply with all local and national laws of the country of origin and the United States. Content must not 1) promote illegal behavior; 2) support racial, religious, sexual or other invidious prejudice; 3) advocate sexual or violent exploitation; 4) violate rights established by law or agreement; 5) invade the privacy of any person; or 6) be otherwise inappropriate as determined by the judges in their sole and conclusive determination.
- The judges’ decision is final.
- The only compensation for submitting a video is the opportunity to be awarded a prize if the entry wins.
- Entrants agree to be bound by the official contest rules and decisions of the judges.
Questions? Contact us at [email protected].