Sponsored by the EMI Granular Materials Committee
Deadline extended to January 28, 2022
The Granular Materials Technical Committee (GMTC) is hosting its first video competition for graduate students to present their research findings (experimental, computational and theoretical studies) within the broad field of granular materials. As nearly every product, commodity, or infrastructure is constituted from, derived from, or supported by particulate materials through mining, agriculture, and/or chemical processing, the competition spans the engineering disciplines, applied mathematics, materials science and physics.
The GMTC welcomes all graduate students in these fields to submit a 10-minute video by January 28, 2022 (Eastern time, US). All entries will be judged based on technical content, clarity of the presentation and quality of the slides. Three cash prizes will be awarded for the best experimental, computational and theoretical entry.
Rules and guidelines
- All entries must be a digital video.
- Each entry must focus on the student’s original MS or PhD thesis work.
- The length of the video should not exceed 10 minutes, not including the 5 second title screen.
- All entries should begin with a 5 second full-screen “title screen” that includes the following information:
- Student’s name
- Thesis supervisor’s name
- Institution name
- Institution city, state, country
- Presentation title
- Category of the presentation (i.e., experimental, computational, or theoretical)
- All information presented in the video must be the student’s original work and it must be properly cited. Plagiarism of any kind will result in disqualification.
- There is an entry fee of US$30.
- Entries may be submitted through the EMI associated website. The deadline for submissions is 1:00 pm (Eastern time, US) on Friday, January 28, 2022. Winners will be announced no later than Friday, February 11, 2022.
- All entries must be submitted in digital format.
- All entries must be submitted in English.
- No copyrighted materials (music, images, etc.) may be used for this contest unless you own the copyright or have a license to use the material for this contest. Written permission must be obtained and provided upon request for all copyrighted materials.
- No professional assistance is allowed.
- Content must comply with all local and national laws of the country of origin and the United States. Content must not 1) promote illegal behavior; 2) support racial, religious, sexual or other invidious prejudice; 3) advocate sexual or violent exploitation; 4) violate rights established by law or agreement; 5) invade the privacy of any person; or 6) be otherwise inappropriate as determined by the judges in their sole and conclusive determination.
- The judges’ decision is final.
- The only compensation for submitting a video is the opportunity to be awarded a prize if the entry wins.
- Entrants agree to be bound by the official contest rules and decisions of the judges.
If you have any questions, contact us at [email protected].