Please save the date to join us for an online workshop to help identify leading practices for incorporating climate projections in community resilience planning. The workshop will be held on Wed., Nov. 1, from 1:00 – 5:00pm EST and it will focus on sea level rise and coastal storm surge. Please register using this link.
Background: The National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) are working to advance infrastructure planning to support resilient communities. The workshop will help inform updates on climate resilience to NIST’s Community Resilience Planning Guide (CRPG) for Buildings and Infrastructure Systems (2015) for U.S. communities (defined here as a place designated by geographical boundaries that functions under the jurisdiction of a governance structure, such as a town, city, or county’). Participants will include community leaders for resilience and climate planning, infrastructure designers and engineers, interdisciplinary climate scientists, and officials with oversight of infrastructure systems.
During the workshop, we will:
- Explore case studies of leading practices for identifying, selecting and utilizing climate projections in infrastructure planning.
- Document transferable lessons for using this type of information.
- Connect infrastructure planning to justice and equity issues (where possible).
Case study locations and respective speakers will include:
- New York city and state - Susanne Desroches, NYSERDA
- South Florida - Jennifer Jurado, Broward County Government
- San Francisco Bay - David Behar, SF Public Utilities Commission
Your input, perspective, and knowledge are vital to ensure that more communities may address climate change within their own engineering practices, codes, and standards. Please feel free to pass this message and the registration link on to colleagues that you think might be interested.
Again, please register using this link. Questions can be directed to Kim Irby - [email protected].